Do you have a passion for social impact? If yes, Socious Inc. is looking for somebody with your enthusiasm and skills to work as part of the team. We are looking for an experienced developer who is curious, driven, and passionate about social impact. If you are looking for a role where you can make a major impact in the world, we want to meet you.
Socious is a community app for social change, powered by AI and blockchain. Many people are interested in contributing to social impact projects, but few of them can do so. We leverage this untapped potential by helping them contribute to society in an easy, fun way through a purpose-driven community app, AI recommendations, and blockchain-based community currency. We are developing a decentralized application (Dapp) where users can take control of and monetize their content and data.
We started Socious in July 2021, so as an early employee you’ll be pivotal in shaping the direction of the company. We have enough runway to last us through the end of 2022, and are about to close a seed round to allow us to accelerate even faster.
You’ll be able to work fully remotely, though we'll meet up in person several times per year, so we're looking for someone living in Japan. If you aren't here yet, that's fine: you’ll be able to work remotely until we help you secure a working visa.
We communicate in English, and so no Japanese ability is required, though there will be opportunities to use Japanese if you’d like to.
We’ve built a prototype version of our app using a combination of part-time freelance developers and offshore developers. As we secure funding, we’re now looking to bring on our first full time hire to oversee future development.
In this role, you’ll work closely with senior stakeholders to understand business goals and ensure that the development team & technologies used are aligned with these.
- Working closely with senior stakeholders to understand business requirements and help translate these into technical requirements for the development team
- Planning and documenting technical specifications for features or system design
- Designing, building and configuring applications to meet business process and application requirements
- Research, design, develop, and test blockchain technologies
- Be involved in the global blockchain community—work on implementing and integrating the latest improvement proposals
- Directing the development team in the design, development, coding, testing and debugging of applications
- Writing testable, scalable and efficient code and leading code reviews
- Mentoring junior team members and ensuring they adhere to determined software quality standards
Skills & Experience
- A strong passion for social impact (previous experience with social impact organizations is an asset).
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field
- Strong knowledge of common algorithms and data structures
- Familiarity with basic cryptography
- Familiarity with P2P networks
- Strong knowledge of blockchains
- Strong knowledge of concurrency and writing efficient and safe multithreaded code
- Proven success as a technical team leader
- You are a good mentor & coach
- You possess good communication skills
- Business-level English skills are required. Japanese skills are desirable.
What’s on offer
- Diverse, driven, and high-performing colleagues
- A supportive, trusting and transparent working environment
- Work-life balance with flexible hours and leave (unlimited paid leave)
- Flexible work arrangements (full-time, part-time freelance, side-job, onsite, remote, etc.)
- A competitive salary package (10-20 million yen per year + stock options)
- Japan work visa sponsorship
How to apply
To apply, please send your letter of motivation (cover letter) and CV.
Please Note: This role is open to remote work outside Japan and also to remote work initially, with the aim of relocating to Japan post-Covid.