We are a technology company working towards digitalizing international trading, and the first digital forwarding company in Japan (aiming to become No. 1 in Asia). We are building a multi-faceted digital platform that allows both customers (importer/exporter) and operators to efficiently and fluidly process international trade workflows, which today is mostly processed through human labour. Our platform currently covers freight forwarding and we are aiming to expand our coverage throughout the international trade supply chain.
At Shippio we are focused on revolutionizing the legacy industry of logistics. We plan to do away with tracking things on paper and by hand with a centralized platform that provides an easy to use dashboard for automated data entry and document generation.
Joining the Shippio adventure means
- Being part of a passionate and human-sized team (35+ people);
- Experiencing a period of strong growth as a startup, with exciting challenges ahead;
- Imagining the logistics innovations of tomorrow;
- Working with a world-class engineer team.
What will you do?
- Participate in the development and design thinking of the next features of our product
- As we're starting the migration from our legacy system (Ruby) to a service-oriented one(Go), you'll have the chance to reevaluate business opportunities to add to the new platform
- Build clean, performant APIs and their components to power digital logistics
- Own meaningful parts of our service, have an impact, grow with the company. It's not just about writing code, but understanding the real problem to solve
What do you need to be successful in this role?
- You have 1+ years of experience in Back-End application development
- You know how to implement a sound API
- Strong communication skills to a variety of audiences, from technical to non-technical
- You have a valid work authorization (or a degree in a related field for those requiring visa sponsorship)
- Business level English
What is good for you to have?
- Communication skills in Japanese are highly appreciated
- Intellectually curious and eager to take on new challenges
- Interested in working on B2B development by leveraging your own development experience
- Experience working within a fast-paced product company
What is our current stack?
We have a Ruby on Rails Back-End, deployed on AWS. We expose our APIs to our Front-End (written in React.js) via GraphQL. However, we are in the process of moving to a service architecture, so we would be happy to hear about your favourite technological stack to use in our next service!
Portrait of our Engineers
- You don’t fall for the hype
- You see technology as a way to solve problems and be creative
- You don’t mind peer reviews, you love them
- You have the culture of delivery
- You value craftsmanship
- You are comfortable working in both a team and also independently to ensure goals are achieved
- Quality of code is your priority and you follow best practices
- You have an ability to foresee where the infrastructure may need to be altered to keep in line with the company strategy
Portrait of our crewmembers
A person who embodies our core values (Anchors)
- [Be courageous and decisive] People who aren't afraid to take on challenges and don't let precedent stand in the way of accomplishing goals
- [Strive for greatness] People who can accept constructive criticism and are willing to continually improve themselves.
- [Believe in your fellow crewmates] People who enjoy developing as a team. Someone who can help team members grow and learn from them.