The Technical Support Engineering (TSE) team is part of the Engineering department and was created to investigate and solve technical issues from customers that cannot be resolved by the first-tier Customer Support team.
Investigation is the primary focus, but TSE is also expected to help improve the capability of the Customer Support team to answer simple inquiries by themselves. This help can come in the form of documenting known issues, writing customer-facing documentation or providing training. Additionally, the team can propose logging and debugging improvements to both broaden and deepen the team’s investigation capability, carry out minor coding projects to implement said improvements, contribute to product documentation, and last but not least, make product improvement suggestions based on reported customer issues.
Since the root cause of a customer issue could occur anywhere within the Autify system, TSEs are required to develop a very broad understanding of Autify’s product architecture and infrastructure so that they can make a reasonable assumption about where to start investigating before digging deeper as and when needed.
Our primary stakeholders are the Customer Support and Customer Success teams, and we hold a variety of regular sync meetings with those teams to share information about potential issues, known issues, and any current investigations that are in progress and potentially of interest.
As with the wider Engineering department, TSE uses the Scrum project management framework for its daily work. The associated Scrum ceremonies (daily stand-ups, refinements, retrospective & planning), as well as a weekly team meeting, are all held in English. Additionally, ad-hoc meetings may be held, such as for pair investigation work, and these can be done in English or Japanese depending on the preference and ability of the attending members.
Note: This role is aimed at supporting customers in the Japanese market, so you must be able to work in Japan standard time. Working hours are flexible but you must be available during the core collaboration hours of 10 am to 2 pm JST.
Required Skills & Experience
- 3+ years of experience supporting and troubleshooting SaaS applications (experience as a developer handling technical support equivalent duties will also be considered)
- Excellent communication skills
- Business-level English language skills
Desirable Skills & Experience
- A computer science or engineering background, preferably in web application or mobile app development
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Experience with test automation or software quality assurance - in particular, test automation frameworks such as Selenium or Appium
- Customer-facing support experience
- Fluent English
- Japanese language skills at a level that allows for daily conversation and reading of documents
Desired Personality Traits
- Strong discipline in analyzing and documenting issues
- Passionate about digging deep into problems and going beyond a shallow understanding
- Skilled at isolating and determining root causes from execution logs and error information
- Able to prioritize and work to deadlines, even when the workload is high
¥7,000,000 - ¥10,000,000 a year
Reviewed twice a year
1. Submission of a take-home coding test
2. Technical interview: 60 mins
3. HR interview: 45 mins
4. Hiring Manager interview: 60 mins
*Please note that we will ask you to provide references after the final interview.
About the Engineering Team
Autify's engineering team is international, with more than half of the engineers being foreign nationals and all developers being English speakers. We have a good culture where members respect each other's backgrounds. Since we have two products, Autify for Web and Autify for Mobile, our development engineers are divided into two teams corresponding to each product. We have about 30 front-end, back-end, and technical support engineers who work closely with engineering managers, product managers, QA managers, designers, and machine learning engineers. The product manager is in charge of the general roadmap. The product manager develops a rough roadmap and works with the engineers and designers on the details of each feature and bug fixes before implementation. Depending on the size of the feature, we appoint a feature lead from among the engineers to be in charge of the project and give them the discretion to make technical decisions.
Our Development Process
We create a ticket about what kind of function we will develop. In some cases, the product owner creates it based on user feedback; in other cases, each team creates bugs and investigation requests directly.
The development cycle consists of one Sprint, which takes two weeks. Development tasks are assigned during the planning stage on the first day of the Sprint, and we hold a daily standup meeting to check the overall progress and any problems. (If there is a time difference, it is done at lunchtime).
We review code on GitHub. After the review, the merged branches are automatically deployed to the staging environment, and E2E tests are performed (which Autify does itself).
After testing on the integrated branch, it's deployed to the production environment. Deployment is done several times a week as needed. We also hold sprint ceremonies like Sprint planning, feature refinement and sprint retrospective sessions. The developer will demonstrate the developed function to all employees at the end of the Sprint in the Sprint Demo.
- Backend: Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Go
- Machine learning: Python, PyTorch, Kubernetes
- Database: PostgreSQL, Redis
- Test: Appium, Selenium, WebdriverIO, Puppeteer
- Infrastructure: AWS, Docker, Terraform, Packer, MacStadium
- Monitoring: Datadog, New Relic, Sentry
- CI/CD: CircleCI, GitHub Actions
- Source code management: GitHub
- Project management: Jira
- Misc.: G Suite, Slack, Notion, Gather, Zoom, Miro, 1Password, Mixmax, Calendly, etc.
- Regular employees
- Probation period: 3 months after joining the company (conditions are the same as permanent employment)
- Tokyo office or Remote (Hybrid)
Note: The determination of working hours (start and end times) must be made to the extent that one's own duties (including guidance and supervision of subordinates) are properly performed and that there are no obstacles to work in terms of coordination and communication with other employees.
- Complete a five-day workweek system (National holidays, year-end and New Year holidays, etc.)
- Unlimited paid time off
- Equipped with various social insurance
- Regular health checkups
- Stock option
- A laptop PC will be rented when joining the company
- Remote work allowance
- English learning support
- Skill-up support
- Visa sponsorship
- Relocation bonus
- Relocation housing support