About Fujitsu Launchpad
Fujitsu Launchpad is a Tokyo-based venture studio subsidiary of Fujitsu Limited. As a corporate venture studio, we act as an institutional cofounder by proactively investing in and building ventures from an initial idea stage. We create new ventures from zero, with the goals of achieving product-market fit, growing profitable new businesses, and delivering outsized returns on investment. We are currently incubating ventures across a variety of regions and sectors, including AI-enabled B2B SaaS tools, an IoT consumer application, and a sports training and community platform.
We are seeking a senior backend engineer to work with the Launchpad product team and intrapreneurs to build and grow digital products from scratch, while setting a strong foundation for Launchpad’s technical organization.
Our ideal engineer will have well-informed technical perspectives, backed in evidence, experience and exceptional work products. They will actively seek ownership and accountability and will thrive in high-velocity environments. In return, Fujitsu Launchpad will provide the opportunity to build innovative products meeting real user needs, make foundational technical decisions, and contribute to structuring and leading a high performing engineering team.
We offer competitive salaries, flexible working hours, and a remote-friendly culture (we have a co-working space in Toranomon Hills, Tokyo; in-person attendance is optional).
Role and Responsibilities
- Develop software in an API-friendly manner by using a modern tech stack and cloud stack. As a member of the core Launchpad engineering team, you’ll have the opportunity to work across ventures covering a wide array of industries, user bases and technologies. Perhaps you’ll spend 3 months building and launching one MVP, and then hand it over so that you can start building a different product from zero.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with frontend developers, product designers, and founder teams to build, launch and grow high-impact applications with seamless user experiences.
- Take responsibility for end-to-end product delivery, including security considerations, code reviews, testing, quality assurance and bug fixes as part of the CI/CD cycle.
- Make foundational architectural decisions, and define and prioritize technical roadmaps for early stage ventures.
- Identify opportunities and lead efforts to continuously improve Launchpad’s engineering practices, with the objective of furthering impact delivered to customers through high quality products.
- Onboard and mentor new team members as Launchpad’s team grows (both Launchpad’s core engineering team, and portfolio company teams built for venture spin outs).
- 5-7+ years of experience in developing data manipulation systems with API (REST/RPC) by using any of the applicable programming languages (PHP, GoLang, Python, NodeJS).
- Experience working in a product-focused startup and building user-friendly applications (either B2B or B2C) from zero. (Please note that candidates who have worked primarily in IT consultancies, software development agencies, and/or large corporations won’t be a good fit for us).
- Exceptional knowledge in operative systems, linux, RAM, CPU, algorithm, networking, strong understanding of OOP concepts, SOLID, GRASP, etc.
- Good knowledge of PostgreSQL and relevant topics (e.g., ACID and isolation levels, race conditions, deadlocks).
- Strong use of test frameworks and motivation to improve test coverage (unit, functional, integrational).
- Fluent use of CI/CD management systems Docker, Helm, and Kubernetes, ArgoCD for declarative deployment.
- Ability to setup and use Terraform to manage infrastructure in AWS.
- Experience with monitoring (e.g., Prometheus, Loki, Newrelic, PagerDuty).
- High level of competency across the full application development life cycle, including analyzing product specifications, building, testing, and resolving issues.
- Excellent critical thinking capabilities, proactive cross-functional communication skills, and the ability to learn quickly and continuously upskill in unfamiliar areas.
- Skills in system administration and ability to resolve unix-related problems.
- Deep understanding of cloud stack (AWS, Google Cloud, etc).
- A degree in computer science or a related discipline is a plus.
- Japanese language skills are a plus.