Our Mission: Smarter, safer, connected driving in any vehicle
Driving technology always feels old. Not by a little bit. Years and years out of date. Is that really just “the way things are”? We don’t think so and we’re here to fix that. We believe vehicles can be 1000x smarter, safer, and more connected to the world around us. We’ve started on this mission by building a mobile-based connected vehicle platform used by millions of drivers in over 150 countries. In 2019, we joined forces with Honda as their first startup acquisition, and now we’re expanding our vision by bringing together software and hardware to build new products that solve real needs for millions of drivers around the world.
About the Role
The Senior Android Engineer is responsible for leading technical solutions native to Android Platforms, unleashing the best possible user experience in that environment. You will work directly with product managers, iOS, and Embedded engineers in an integrated approach towards a unified product. A sample challenge you might experience is leading the implementation of custom bluetooth profiles to integrate a user's smartphone with the buttons and screen on a car or motorcycle to create a new connected driving experience.
What You Will Do
- Integrate in-vehicle hardware products
- Validate the feasibility of challenging requirements
- Research new technologies that the best user experience
- Quick development of prototypes and concept apps
- Implement high quality, maintainable and test-driven code
- Reproduce, troubleshoot, and fix user issues
- On the side, play a small role on projects outside of your comfort zone just for fun and for expanding your knowledge
- Keep sharpening your expert skills
What We Are Looking For
- 5+ years of experience in Android application development
- Strong object-oriented software development experience
- Strong coding skills, enabling clean and maintainable code base
- Able to fluently utilize and properly decide when to utilize asynchronous programming, multi-threading, dependency injection and reflection capabilities
- Experience in writing libraries and tools
- Experience in building consumer facing Android apps in Kotlin and/or Java
- Deep understanding of Android frameworks and Jetpack libraries
- Business level English
- Strong sense of ownership of product features and quality
- A flexible attitude and entrepreneurial mindset. Be willing to do what it takes, even if it's outside of your usual responsibility area.
- Someone who thinks that cars and motorcycles can be 1000x better than they are today
Nice to Have
- Experience performance verification and optimization
- Experience with Android Bluetooth APIs
- Experience with Android Open Source Project (AOSP)
- Experience with IoT or integration with embedded systems
- Being familiar with Agile development environment
- Experience with localization and internationalization of apps
- Conversational Japanese
- Valid Driving License
Drivemode is proud of a very diverse team with employees coming from 5 continents/11 countries as of today. Diversity in our workplace has played an important part in our success; we recognize each employee’s unique background, knowledge, experiences, ideas, and viewpoints which are all critical in developing a product that has the greatest impacts on drivers all over the world.
Drivemode provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or any other characteristics that make you unique.