Note: this position permits working from overseas, and Peatix can assist with visa sponsorship for applicants residing in Japan. However, they cannot offer relocation support for applicants who wish to move to Japan.
Peatix is looking for a Data Scientist to join our strategy team. This role offers you an exciting and meaningful opportunity to shape the future of the company and product, as we redefine how people can connect with one another through shared experiences.
The mission of the Data Scientist is to maximize “cross-side” network effects. More specifically, you aim to increase and improve interactions between event organizers who want to sell tickets and people who want to attend events, and to maximize the satisfaction of both parties. You will be responsible for algorithm development and evaluation of various products, such as personalization, optimization of in-platform advertisement and email, search and so on. Data analysis is also an important part of the role to gain insight and deep understanding of users and clients.
To be successful in this role, knowledge of data science is important, as well as working with the product manager to understand stakeholders' needs and problems, working with engineers to release products, and having the creativity to solve problems.
- Contribute to the design, testing, and iteration of the machine learning algorithms that form the backbone of Peatix products
- Create and improve predictive models (e.g. ticket sales or user churn)
- Analyze data to inform strategy and product/UX changes for user onboarding, engagement, retention, and monetization
- Work closely with product managers, designers, and engineers to conduct A/B tests and iterate on better product improvements
- Develop deep domain expertise about event and community
- Work with our data warehousing systems to design, build, and maintain analyses and performance visualizations for users, major product initiatives, and other internal needs
- Bachelors or higher degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Economics, Operations Research, or similar quantitative field, or 3+ years of practical machine learning experience
- Experience in developing productionized machine learning systems, such as Recommender, Search etc
- Programming proficiency (preferably Python, its data science stack, and SQL) and desire to write production code
- Intermediate knowledge of applied statistics ( hypothesis testing, fit regression curves, build predictive models, choose sample sizes, etc.)
- Excellent English communication skills (written and spoken)
Nice to haves are really just nice to haves, and applicants should apply even if they don’t have them
- An M.S. or PhD in Statistics, Computer Science, Economics, Operations Research, or similar quantitative field
- Experience with / working in one of the following fields: reinforcement learning, deep learning, or Natural language processing (NLP)
- Comfortable with using git, docker, and other tools for writing robust, production-ready code
- Conversational level Japanese or above
- You can work remotely from almost anywhere, though we’ll look favorably on candidates who are located where Peatix already has team members
- Peatix has offices in Tokyo, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, and New York. If you’re located in those cities, you’re welcome to work in the office
- You'll be working with team members in Australia, Japan, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, and the United States
Who is Peatix
Peatix is a global event registration platform that provides event organizers with powerful tools to create, promote, manage and sell out events of all sizes. Launched in 2011 in Japan, Peatix is now headquartered in New York and has expanded into Singapore, Malaysia, and Hong Kong.
At Peatix, we believe we can make a great positive impact by making it easier for people to meet with each other. By helping organizers create more and more diverse events for more and more diverse groups of people, we hope to connect people around the world and let people understand each other.
Why you should work for Peatix
Peatix is a customer-centric company where we value collaboration, communication, empathy, quality, and shipping. We believe that you'll do better work by being healthier and happier, so we want you to have a life outside of working at Peatix. We encourage you to attend Peatix events as well.
Peatix is made up of people of different nationalities and backgrounds. We will continue to be a company that embraces diversity and look forward to applications from people from various backgrounds and lifestyles. Peatix will not discriminate against Peatix employees or applicants based on their age, citizenship, gender identity or expression, national origin, pregnancy status, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other differences.