At Treasure Data we are helping enterprises solve complex data problems and empowering them with superior actionable insights that drive effective customer experiences. Founded in 2011 with a deep heritage in data management, the award-winning Treasure Data CDP unifies customer data across silos at scale. Over the last years, we have experienced huge growth in many areas of Treasure Data which prompted a greater focus on consistent improvement in our development and operational practices, and we are looking for incredible people to join and contribute to maturing our approaches to engineering excellence.
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineer who is excited to work within our Core Service group. This group is made up of teams that span a wide area, including streaming data ingestion, columnar data storage and optimization, OSS query engines like Trino (Presto) and Hive, and the multi-tenant fair scheduling that underpins it all. This combination of systems encompasses the background processing and execution of all customer actions within the Treasure Data platform.
As an Engineer in our Core Service group, you will join a culturally diverse team with expertise in designing, building and operating large distributed systems. Within the team, you will focus on making improvements to the job scheduler and related pipeline. We also encourage partnering with cross-functional teams of engineers and product managers to drive and impact our product development and roadmap directions. As we iterate through the development process, you would work directly with our incredible customer success team, solution engineers and architects to provide recommendations and gather feedback to move our technology forward.
Humility - Greatness is achieved by overcoming obstacles. Mistakes are opportunities to improve. Knowing this, we welcome feedback from customers and colleagues while constantly striving to learn and grow.
Openness - We embrace transparency wherever practical and reasonable. All communication must be transparent by default. We work to maximize information flow within the company and praise all those who do the same.
Honesty - It’s easy to be honest about things you feel good about—much harder with the things you don’t. We encourage directness and sincerity in all scenarios. Admitting failure is the first step toward learning and growth. Honesty builds trust and nurtures efficient teamwork.
Reliability - Our customers rely on our service and build their companies upon it. Likewise, we rely upon each other to build our own business. We know this, and take responsibility to be reliable for our customers and each other.
You are excited about this opportunity because
- You are enthusiastic about technology and learning
- You enjoy collaboration with world-class engineers across time zones and languages
- You welcome challenges posed by building and operating large-scale, distributed systems on cloud infrastructure, we use AWS
- You embrace small, frequent, incremental production releases with quality
- You'd like more experience with Kotlin and building on top of a container platform
- You’re interested in operating and maintaining a managed Kubernetes environment
- You’re a proponent of the API First Principles
- You’d like to own what you build by joining the on-call rotation
- You’d like to practice and advocate for a good DevOps culture
- You appreciate partnering with Customer Success and Product Management to create value for customers and Treasure Data
- You thrive in a distributed working environment and communicate clearly and effectively across language barriers
We are excited about you because you
- Appreciate workplace diversity and embrace cultural difference
- Bias toward communication, empathy, and patience in working with your colleagues
- Have the motivation to communicate in English in a distributed team
- Are motivated by challenge, curiosity and possess a growth mindset
- Understand reliability, availability, and maintainability in a distributed system
- Create clean and well-tested code that improves our codebase in meaningful ways
- Use monitoring and data to drive product and engineering decisions
- Have a passion for technology, enjoy solving problems with code
- Have the ability to translate business requirements into engineering roadmaps
- Are comfortable working with Kotlin, and Java and always keep a keen eye for sensible alternatives and trends
- Have familiarity with data structures, and algorithms but also have experience evolving larger, living systems over time
Bonus points if you
- Have experience building and operating task scheduling services on the JVM
- Are familiar with security best practices
- Have hands-on experience with IaC, packaging, automation, and delivery
- Have experience with some of the technology the team uses:
- Kubernetes, Kotlin, Dropwizard, CircleCI, Datadog, AWS, SQS
Who we are:
Treasure Data employees are enthusiastic, data-driven and customer-obsessed. Our actions reflect our values of honesty, reliability, openness and humility. Treasure Data moved to remote-based work in March 2020 and is committed to ensuring it remains agile to accommodate shifting preferences of its workforce. While we are not working shoulder-to-shoulder, we still work side-by-side, finding unique ways to connect and create together while also respecting each other’s life priorities outside of work. We offer competitive salary and benefits and named one of the 2021 Best Places to Work. Treasure Data is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
What we do:
Treasure Data is the only enterprise Customer Data Platform (CDP) that harmonizes an organization’s data, insights, and engagement technology stacks to drive relevant, real-time customer experiences throughout the entire customer journey. Treasure Data helps brands give millions of customers and prospects the feeling that each is the one and only. With its ability to create true, unified views of each individual, Treasure Data CDP is central for enterprises who want to know who is ready to buy, plus when and how to drive them to convert. Flexible, tech-agnostic and infinitely scalable, Treasure Data provides fast time to value even in the most complex environments.