What will you be doing?
Members of the Kraken Tech team need to be shining examples of the Octopus Way and believe in decision making based on simplicity, customer benefit, and efficiency. We are excited about how Kraken can change the lives of customers and operations teams in other companies and convinced that Kraken is the best answer, not only for companies, but as a tool to tackle the climate crisis.
We are fundamentally changing the way that energy companies work. We put customer happiness and cost competitiveness first with great people, technology and ways of working.
We are looking for a strong Engineering Lead that can help build our communications products within Kraken. You will help us to solve complex problems with great products that make it easy for our clients to communicate to their customers through various channels: email, telephone, text messaging, WhatsApp, LINE, and others.
Our ideal Engineering Lead is an individual who loves to engage with people to solve interesting software problems. They are well versed in front-end development, with some full-stack experience. As a Engineering Lead, you will oversee a frontend development team and be accountable for delivery of features, technical quality of code pushed to production, and stewardship of the products your team is responsible for. We operate a lean organization with a highly agile development approach and you'll manage a team of frontend software engineers, ensuring they’re happy, productive, and grow in line with their career aspirations.
What you'll do
- Lead a team of frontend developers to deliver valuable features to our customers.
- Motivate the team. Cultivate a transparent and supportive environment where they can ask questions and raise concerns.
- Design, build, and maintain high performing and reliable code for Kraken’s communications products.
- Drive decisions that help the team and products continually thrive. Strive to find simple, elegant solutions.
- Be a hands-on contributor.
- Coach and mentor engineers via pairing, design review, and code review.
- Provides constructive feedback to team members to support their growth.
- Collaborate regularly with colleagues with various specialities.
- Get the team to focus on the highest-impact work.
- Delight our customers and colleagues.
What you'll have
- Proven experience in Typescript, Node.js, React, and GraphQL.
- Proven experience leading and line managing high-performing teams.
- Proven ability to perform well in a fast-paced, collaborative, agile environment.
- A drive to support individuals’ needs for career growth.
- An empathetic approach to delegation and collaboration.
- Excellent analytical and multitasking skills.
- Excellent communication, motivational, and interpersonal skills with ability to collaborate effectively across functions (product, design, data science, etc.).
Handy, but not essential
- Experience developing APIs.
- Experience developing data models with relational databases.
- Experience configuring CI/CD pipelines.
- Experience configuring distributed systems on AWS.
We’re at the forefront of innovation in the energy industry and we have succeeded because of our people. Those people are:
- Passionate about leading, motivating and developing others.
- Passionate about helping customers (without them, we don’t exist).
- Passionate about technology.
- Committed to sustainability (we are all about speeding up the shift to a more sustainable world).
- Open minded, flexible and adaptable.
- Confident decision makers.
- Resilient under pressure.
- Styled Components
- Jest & React Testing Library
- Python Django (on the backend)
What You'll Love About Us
- Our company culture - we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation - we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you